Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Yet Another ''Mom Moment''

Sorry for the lapse in writing to everyone. I was able to go home to the States for two weeks and visit with my family and some friends. It was sooooooo good to see you all. Samuel and Andreas stayed in Sweden and so I missed them terribly. However, I am home now and Sam keeps coming up to me and telling me that he missed me and he loves me.... so sweet. We have been hugging and kissing a lot.

I have a great Sam story for everyone. Something that you see in movies or on sitcoms, but never really expect it to happen to you. Let's start at the beginning of our day yesterday. Samuel had a vaccination which was so sad. He kept telling me that he didn't want the nurse to give it to him (of course all kids don't want a shot). I was holding him and she stuck it in his shoulder. He cringed his little face and then turned silently into my shoulder and sobbed quietly. It broke my heart! He was trying to be such a big boy, but it really hurt and so the tears came. I just held him and told him how proud I was of him for getting it. In a few minutes he was back to normal. The next thing was an ear infection. He has had one for about a week now and we called the hospital that specializes in his treatment (due to his lack of ear drum). They had us come in immediately (which is an hour drive). So we left at 2 got there at 3 and were in the doc's office by 3:30. They had to do a lot of cleaning and of course wax removal. He was so good, but little tears rolled down his cheeks at one point and he calmly said, ''that hurts a little''. So after all of that we rewarded him with candy (which is normally just a Saturday treat). We came home and when I was cooking dinner I asked him to go clean up the legos (big and small) in his room. He was actually doing that quietly when I heard a whimper come from the hall. I looked out the kitchen and saw him standing there with blood all over his shirt, face, arms, and nose. We have been working on him not picking his nose, so I assumed he had done just that. I calmly led him into my room and got some tissue from the bathroom to clean him. As I start to wipe his nose he says, ''mommy, it's still in there''. I asked him what was in where?. He said, ''the siren is in there still''. As my mind is racing to figure out what he is talking about, he points to his nose and said again, ''the siren is still stuck in there.'' I am sure the look on my face must have been really weird when I asked, ''are you telling me that you have a lego stuck up your nose?'' Now as a person I saw the humor in it all, as a mom, I saw a hospital visit coming! So I had him blow as hard as he could and after a few times the lego ''siren'' came out. Thank you Jesus. While I was trying to clean him up Andreas came in and I told him what happened, he just started laughing out loud. A laugh that I had been trying to hold back so that Sam would see that he shouldn't do it again. I still love that Andreas lightened the whole scene though.

Today I said to Sam, ''now we know to never stick legos up our noses.'' He replied with an innocent face, ''why not mommy?''. So I went on to explain it to him again. He really is a smart boy, so I am a little worried that the blood (which was plentiful) didn't tell him that what he did was not good! Is this a boy thing? I think I will talk to him again tomorrow about it, I really don't want to have to visit the hospital one of these days when it really won't come out!

Moral of the story, don't take for granted that your kids really may not know not to stick stuff up their noses. Always a good point to discuss!

Sorry about not having pictures this time. I will post some of my trip next time. There is a little adoption news. Our agency has sent 6 dossiers to Nepal up till now. Just the other day 3 of the couples received referrals. Unfortunately we were not one of them, but some movement is good. We also found out that those couples will travel this fall to pick up their children. So the time between referral and travel is relatively quick. Keep praying, there are so many waiting (both children and parents).

Blessings,
laurie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was so funny, I hope my kids won't do that, but I'm sure Timmy will do it.
Lizet