Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Culture Shock is definitely here

Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since this site was updated, but we are still trying to settle in. Normal everyday things that we usually take for granted like a washer and dryer and a freezer that works are things that we are dealing with.

Culture shock has definitely hit me in full force today. I feel angry and frustrated with the smallest things. I think I feel a little abandoned with Andreas starting full time work. Not that he can do anything about it, but that is the life of culture shock. Poor Samuel has to put up with a cranky mommy. So please pray for him especially. I do much better if I get me time with the Lord in so I try to do that. Little things that one wouldn't think about are hard. Take for instance this entry. I tried to get on the site so I could publish this and it is all in Swedish. So if this ends up on someone else's site I wouldn't be too surprised! (by the way, I promise pictures of our travels to see family and friends before we left the states. I just have to get Andreas to show me how to do all of that. Preferably in English)

Today I found out that we have a mouse. That didn't help with the cranky frustration. I don't mind mice if I know where they are (because then I can catch them). This one is a mystery. We don't know where it is and we don't know how it got in. So in the quite hours of the night (when I am blogging) I keep a watch on the floor for little furry, scurrying things. Maybe my dog will eat it for me (hey, it's a dog-eat-mouse world as far as I'm concerned).

My days consist of still trying to get the house together and make lists of what is needed as I try to keep up with Samuel. He was given the DVD Cars, by a friend, and constantly wants to watch it. I definitely limit him. Those of you who know me, know that I think TV sucks your brain out - the rule of 1/2 hour still applies. There have been some exceptions when I have had to do something for the church, but I am trying to stick to it. I would like my son's brain to stay intact, although sometimes he acts like he has lost his marbles. Samuel turned 3 in September and he has definitely hit 3. Everything is MINE!!!! I feel like he is one of the Seagulls on Finding Nemo that is constantly saying "mine, mine, mine, mine". He is also loosing some of his wonderful ability to play by himself. He is starting to need constant entertainment. (part of that maybe that his toys are still packed in a crate that just arrived in Sweden). But he still gives his unexpected hugs and says "I laa u" at the sweetest moments. I am so grateful for him - even when I am frustrated with him.

We are still planning on starting another adoption. We will start the preliminary paperwork once we can say that we are officially settled it. If a social worker came to my house right now for a home study, they may laugh at me. So maybe in another month or at the beginning of next year. Please pray for that. I really want another child (well 3 others to be honest), but being patient is really hard sometimes and I want Samuel to have a sibling.

Andreas preached his first sermon on Sunday. In typical mommy fashion, I had to leave with Samuel. I did see the first five minutes and he did really well from what I could tell - of course it is all Swedish to me! It was a good day and there were quite a few visitors in the church. We knew the Lord had been preparing us to start this ministry and so we are glad to be officially "launched". The people in the church have been wonderful and and as excited as we are (I think). I am working on becoming the "pastor's wife" and working on learning more Swedish, so I don't totally mess-up as the "pastor's wife". There are a few very nice older women that really try hard to speak to me in Swedish and we just end up smiling at each other and nodding. I am sure it looks like a comedy act from the outside, but inside I am just praying the Lord gives me the gift of tongues, right at that moment! Wouldn't I be freaked out if that really happened.

We miss you all and hope that you all visit! Until the next time you are in our prayers.

Laurie

1 comment:

Cydil said...

Hey Laurie! Thanks for your honesty in your struggles. The mouse would definitely put me over the edge! There is a way to switch the language of Blogger back to English (I learned this in Hungary) -- but you'll more than likely need Andreas to show you where to find the button. ;-)
Looking forward to those picts and some of your new hometown!
Take care, Cydil