Monday, September 27, 2010

Still Here


We are still here.  Sorry for the silence there has just been a lot going on and not enough energy to do it all.  I still do not have new photos downloaded we were having storage issues for all the pictures.  I think that may have been taken care of now so I will begin to download and new pics should come soon.  Sam is doing well in school and maturing before my eyes.  He is in a good stage right now and we are really enjoying our time with him.  I do have to tell one story... the three of us were in Gothenburg borrowing some special lights for an event at the church and Sam was helping us carry things.  I handed him one small crate and he said,  "shit, det var jätte tungt!" (translation, "shit, that is really heavy.")  My jaw automatically dropped to the ground and as Andreas tried his best not to laugh, he reminded me that Sam didn't know what he was saying.  However, he used it well.  So we gently had to explain to him that shit was not a word that was appropriate for him to use in Swedish or English.  He was a bit confused and said, "but everyone at school says it".  So then we had to go into the explanation that Swedes don't really understand that it is not a good word in English, they have just picked it up, but we should not say it because it is not a nice word.  We also talked about what comes out of your mouth expresses your heart (I am sure that one will need repeating several times). So, now we start the interesting differences in language.  I am sure more interesting words are coming.  Not only do I have to figure out the English ones, but the Swedish ones as well!  In most languages the curse words relate to mainly sex, here in Sweden they are actually cursing you with Satan or demons.... I think if I had to choose I would prefer the English ones (never thought I would say that). This year Sam has been trying new phrases and words he hears at school, I hate the loss of his innocense.  However, I know he has to go through this and we have to help him make sense of it and move on.  He is a great kid!  

We have had another snag in the adoption process (of course I can't give details), but we are trying to figure out where to go from here.  I have to admit I am struggling a bit.  I feel like we hit walls, or snags all the time and time is quickly marching on.  I know that is probably not true, it just feels like it.  Please pray that we can understand where the Lord is leading us with all of this.  Maybe when Sam is 20 we can finally adopt again.......wait a minute then I am 50 and Sweden will not let me adopt.  Yep, I need prayer for my attitude.  Sometimes I just want to be 2 again so I can throw a big ole' fit.  I suppose God looks at me and sees that I do it anyway in my 36 year old way.   So here is a verse for all those out there that feel like I do right now.  Hebrews 12:12,13  "So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. Mark out a staight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong."

May each of you meet God exactly where you are.  

Blessings,
Laurie 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurie, Your storied about Sam always make me smile. He must be a beautiful little boy inside and out. -- In Norway we used to say "skitt la ga" (that last a is an a with a circle on top). All it meant was "Oh well, it's OK". Our kids learned all the swear words in one country but then we either went home or on vacation to the other country, so time took care of the bad words since their language changed:) Ia

Stephanie said...

Laurie, I stumbled onto your blog today and enjoyed reading about your family! We are missionaries to Chile and have been blessed through adoption as well. I especially enjoyed this story of the language challenges, as our children are in Chilean schools and we have experienced similar situations with the Chilean children teaching our American kids the bad words in English! Teachable moments, to be sure. :)

God bless, Stephanie