Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Great Darkness

For all of you who don't know, this is the time in Sweden I refer to as "The Great Darkness". I don't know anyone (Swede included) who truly likes this time. My husband likes it a little (he has that melancholy Swede in him), however we need the sun. Only when I moved here did I understand why some cultures worshipped the sun (don't worry I haven't started sun worship). It has been a grey, dark Fall. The Sun rises around 7:30 or so in the morning and is down by 4:30. Doesn't sound so bad. Unfortunately, you don't actually get to see the sun during those hours. The grey clouds and the incessant rain take care of that one. I don't really feel like I wake up in the day. I think it is effecting Samuel also. He has been so cranky. So we turn on lots of lights in the house and try to make the best of it.

The picture below is of this past Sunday. The sun did shine through for about 15 minutes and I stood outside facing it and praising God for it the whole time. Believe it or not it made a huge difference in my mood that day. God, please help me get through the rest of "The Great Darkness".

1 comment:

Nina & Wes said...

Rain and gray like that stinks! My mom is from the rainy city of Norway, Bergen, and about 2 years ago they had 85 consecutive days of rain. So depressing! Sounds like your part of Sweden isn't much sunnier! :) You should get some of those lights they sell that are supposed to make you feel like there is natural daylight all the time....those Bergeners need 'em! :) Maybe you do too. heehee Thank God for the Sun!!!!