Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Six months and going.....

In six months we have gone from this...




To this...

I just love that I caught this on film!
David has bloomed and will continue I am sure.  He is a happy child, normally calm (but tends to whine because he cannot talk so well).  He has reached a new level of comfort with me.  I know this because he is pushing, and pushing, and pushing the boundaries.  Yes, this wonderful child is learning that with parents..not only does he receive love and laughs and security, but discipline.

He understands both English and Swedish while still understanding Mandarin (when my friend is around to speak it to him).  He will mainly answer in English (not surprising because I am with him the most).  He does have a vocabulary, but not one that anyone outside the family really understands.  I just laugh when people look at me and gasp because I know what he is saying.  The funny thing is it is mainly melody.  David has a great sense of melody and can repeat any melody that he hears.  So with the words I listen to his melody and am able to figure out what he wants (hopefully speech therapy will start soon).

He knows and seems proud of his name.  When we talk about him with doctors or the social worker he understands the difference between his Ch*nese name and his new name.  He will say no to his old name and yes to his new name.

David is curious, helpful, loving, playful, friendly (except to Sam, well sometimes), and quick to pick up on things.  He has great fine motor skills, but is still a bit clumsy with runny or walking.  He didn't have much muscle tone 6 months ago, so now I think he is doing great.  He has learned to run (without falling), ride a tricycle and a scooter, build with duplo and little legos (much to Sam's chagrin) and climb on most anything...he is a boy after all. 

He will still eat anything you put in front of him and continue until he is stopped.  But that is slowly disappearing.  He is sleeping in his own bed, feels comfortable enough to come get me if he needs me, or wander around the house before any of us are up (normally I hear him pretty quickly).  He loves books, cars, and anything that Sam says he is not allowed to play with.

David is recognizing friends, and remembers names quite easily.  He still very much loves Farmor and Farfar (especially Farfar).  I am still his number one pick, but Daddy has gone from number 79 to number 2!  He is learning to fully enjoy a Pappa who is loving, but will wrestle and kid around with him. David really does like Sam.  He will follow him and do everything Sam does, which of course annoys his older brother.  They are both still quite jealous of one on one time for the other, but we are working that out (David truly believes I am his and not anyone else's. He will even try to get in between Andreas and I.)

So far I think he is doing really great.  I love to see him pray and start mimicking the stories we tell from the Bible.  He perks up when I read a story about King David.  He is truly making his home with us, for which I am thankful.  Of course things are always perfect (did you read the he is pushing the boundaries earlier?), but are things ever perfect or normal?  Naaaaaaaa, that wouldn't be fun, at least now we are kept on our toes.

So please keep praying for us.  Six months is still a very short time in the scheme of things.

David,
We can never express how happy and thankful we are that you are a part of our family. I love to see you shine!  You are a beloved son, brother, grandson and cousin.  You are not accidentally put here, but with purpose and love, from mommy and daddy's adopted Father.  As we always say, ''Home is where the family is'', and you are home!

love,
mommy or maeee (as David says)

No comments: