Thursday, November 10, 2011

Old Sorrow, New Grieving

Today is the year anniversary of my grandfather's death.  My grandfather (Po Po as we called him) was an amazing man.  He would never have thought it or boasted about it, but he has touch thousands, if not millions with his teaching on inductive Bible study.  Robert A. Traina, Po Po, was loved by many, admired by many, and was the most humble, kind, patient, and loving person that I have ever known.

As his book is so titled, Po Po was methodical.  He loved the Bible, studying and knowing it and God were a passion of his.  God also imparted to Po Po the love of teaching.  So he did not keep this passion to himself, but graciously gave it to many as a professor, dean and author.

On the more personal level he was a brother, husband, dad, grandfather, friend, pray-er, uplifter, listener, and laugher.  His laugh was deep and heartfelt...and he laughed often.  He loved us (his family) so deeply and lifted us to Jesus everyday of his life.  I am sure that the prayers that Grandma and him raised to heaven helped me come to my Savior and marry a man that was like Po Po in so many ways.

Not only in his life did he teach me about Christ, but in his death.  Last year I was able to make it back home a week before he died.  He spent that last week in my Aunt's home (his youngest daughter), with my mom (his oldest daughter) and my Aunt taking care of him.  Sam was with me and Po Po loved to see him and hold his hand (Po Po always had the warmest hands).  Sam drew many pictures for him (he was taking care of Po Po too).  When the rest of us would have to leave Po Po's room, Sam would go in and just hold his hand.  Memories I will always cherish.

We really didn't know he was going to die that last week until the final two days.  So we got to say good-byes and I love yous.  His dignity and calmness followed him into eternity.  He was ready to go home and we all knew it.  He did not need to fight it, or tie up loose ends, his life had been lived to be prepared for the moment he would go to Jesus.  And even though I have been taught about heaven so much in my life, it became all the more real to me as he entered it.  Not because I saw heaven for myself, but watching and being with this man all my life and then watching him die showed me the full circle of a life lived well for Jesus.  His words, his actions, his thoughts behind all of it, was for one purpose and he was ready when it came.  I am beyond sure that he heard, ''well done, my good and faithful servant'' as he passed from this world into Heaven.  

I know that I fail on so many levels to live up to what he has taught, but remembering makes me try harder.  Not because he said so, but because it is all REAL.  One day I will also step into eternity and I would like to be able to face it in the same calm manner because I am ready.  Because I have lived my life with this purpose in mind.  Which really means that I need to do that now, because eternity may not wait until I am 89 like Po Po.

So as Po Po would say, I have some ''wrong thinking'' that I need to deal with and simply go to my Bible.  It is all there, know what it says, know God who is seeping out of every word and page.  Live my life according to those words and love God wholeheartedly.

''In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God; all things were made through him and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life and the life was the light of men.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has NOT overcome it.''  
John 1:1-5
Po Po and I, when I was about 3 years old.
Thank you Po Po, for not only loving me, praying for me, and being the most amazing grandfather that you could be, but for living your life for the God you so dearly loved.  You not only showed me the way, but thousands of others.  I will always be your ''kissy baby''. 


I miss you,
Laurie
(please forgive the typos, it is hard to write through the tears)

1 comment:

Andrew and Heather Robinson said...

Beautiful post. I am inspired by your grandfather.