Saturday, September 10, 2011

Samuel's 7th Birthday

Believe it or not, today my boy turned 7!  He was so excited from the moment he woke up to the moment he crashed.  And let me tell you I believe we kept Lego in business today.  He even received Lego from my mom in the States.  Here in Sweden 7 is a big deal.  It is the year you begin first grade, it is the beginning of more activities, and frankly it is a sign that the little boy that once was is trying to be the big boy that will be.  Sam struggles between the two sometimes and it makes me happy and breaks my heart at the same time.  It makes me happy because we work hard to help him love God, grow and learn to be independent.  However, it makes me sad because I do miss my sweet little boy that once loved to cuddle at night, preach on the packing crates and make the greatest face when things amazed him.  I am also sad because I see bits of his innocence disappear with age as he finds out more about the  world, people and life in general.  He still has an amazing heart for God and if he does something wrong it eats at him until he tells us.  I pray those things will stay.  

As he turns 7, I remember back to the day I walked into Sargamatha Children's home in Nepal and saw/held him for the first time. He was tiny, but happy and full of personality even at 15 months old.  He has always held so much promise (like every other kid is they have families to cheer them on), and captures a room with his presence.  He is contagious!  His energy flows to others, his spontaneity (which at times gets him in trouble) will enthuse anyone to go out and get things done.  He is God's gift to us when we thought there would be no children.  He was born in one of the lowest times of my life. 

I do not know exactly what happened on the day he was born, where he was born, exact day, or exact time, but I do know that God was there.  He was putting things in motion that would glorify him and create a new family.  He was showing a young couple His grace and a baby boy his mercy.  I have often prayed for his mother, whom we call Pria (beloved in Nepalese), I pray that on that day she felt the ministering hand of God also.  That in the few weeks he was with his biological family that they knew God was there and would take care of Sam.  That in their grief, there was hope and comfort.  

Yes, today my Samuel turned one more year older!  Samuel, you are an incredible boy.  You have given us so much joy, laughter, love and worry. You teach me so much about living life fuller.  You're honest, caring, crazy, and ready to live every minute to the fullest.  My prayer is that you will, with the heart of God that you still hang on to. That you will fulfill what He intends you to be and be so much more that this world would limit you to.  Please forgive me when I do not always appreciate your energy and independence.  I am blessed to be your mom, blessed to watch you grow and help in that process.  I will try to do my best to get out of your way when needed and to loving and kindly (not always so easy) correct you when needed.  I am proud of you and who you are becoming. Happy Birthday precious son.  I love you.  

love,
mommy 
Starting the morning with craziness.  This is right before the kids party.


We did tug of war, Andreas against the kids (Andreas won easily)

Against me and the kids, we won (but no so easily, this man is strong...I like it ;).

We did jump rope...I love how Sam is a little blurry...true to life.

We did red light, green light... love this pic.

We did church hide and seek...gotcha Ian.

We did spin the bottle, yep... it's true...but not what you're thinking.  We would spin the bottle to see who gave their gift to Sam.  Great game and the kids love it (thanks Kris for teaching us).

We did presents.

We did cuddles.

We did sugar cake cupcakes and candles (and hotdogs).

And we did general horsing around!  After the kids party we did an extended family dinner also...spoiled I tell ya.
Blessings,
Laurie

No comments: