Friday, September 30, 2011

4 Years

Yesterday was the 4 year anniversary of our coming to Sweden (for the second time).  It is hard to believe that we have been here for 4 years already.  I was reflecting on my time here and realized that there are still moments when I feel like a foreigner.  I wonder if I will ever feel like a Swede or even want to feel like a complete Swede.  Being an American is part of my identity (funny how that happens).  I wonder if my boys will feel that way.  Will their birth countries be a strong part of their identity?  What makes it strong for me?

Samuel knows that he is Nepali, but identifies more with Sweden (naturally).  David is still up in the air as to how much he really understands! (that will come with time).  What ties us to a culture?  Is it our genetics, our childhood, our memories?  It really does amaze me the strength of these ties.


Reading some in the Bible on the Kingdom of Heaven, it clearly states that we are citizens in another place.  This life and place are temporary.  If I so strongly identify myself as an American, how can I switch that to identify myself as a citizen of Heaven first and foremost?  How can I teach my boys that their main citizenship is in Heaven and not in what we see or live on this earth?  Of course we are teaching our children about Christ, their salvation and future in Heaven, but how to make it tangible to a 7 and 3 year old?  Not so easy, but necessary.  If I do it now they will always know it.

So as for my story, I would like it to begin with I am a child of God and a citizen of Heaven (with a slight attachment to the US, and a foot in Sweden).  I look forward to seeing what my sons stories will turn out to be.  I pray that God and Heaven will be first in their multicultural lives.

Where are your ties grounded?

Blessings,
Laurie


2 comments:

iaandbob said...

I thought about your American/Swedish part. I believe the true FEELING of who you are is the place you grew up. I may love this country and would not like to move "back home", but I miss Norway and I am a Norwegian to the core. I am proud to be a Norwegian and would tell everyone about my heritage, my country. It will never go away. Your boys will probably have some mixed feelings since they are both Swedes and Americans. Thanks mom and pappa.

Andrew and Heather Robinson said...

Loved this post! Thank you.