Monday, June 20, 2011

New Days, New Jealousies, New Steps to Normal

Lest anyone thinks that this is all ease and fun....think again. 

I watch as Samuel struggle with not wanting David around to wanting David to pay a ton of attention to him.  I watch David want to do everything that his big brother is doing, but then scream anytime Samuel gets near the toys that David happens to be playing with.  I watch them both be jealous of each other with mom and dad.  However, there are moments when they are playing together beautifully and giggling with each other and it makes my heart melt.  I really believe that they will be good friends one day, it will just take time and effort.  

Even though Sam has had his moments, I have to say that never once has he hit David, even when David has repeatedly hit him.  I am really proud of Sam for that. He will be a great big brother (once he is allowed to get near David without a scream).  David is learning that Sam will not always (just sometimes) rip the toy away from him.  However, a lot of the screams comes from lack of ability to communicate with us.  I am hoping that we will get the ball rolling on speech therapy soon.  David is also doing a lot better with the hitting and his anger is subsiding.  I know he has had to go through a lot (understatement).  So it is good to see him relaxing more and not hitting everyone...except his brother...and that may never go away!

But this mom (and dad) are in love with both of these boys and thankful for them despite the jealousies.  

Blessings,
Laurie


This boy adores water... even the freezing water of Sweden. I love to see him laugh and be free of the cares he has had to deal with.   

Sam is about to take a horse ride and I think he looks precious in that helmet (or helmhat as he calls it).


Here is a typical jealous picture.  Sam wanted me and David will not let go either.  They are getting better though. We are making sure that they both get us one on one sometimes.  

1 comment:

DebM said...

Oh that last picture.... So normal, but so hard. I'm pretty sure you could have taken a picture of me, Grace and Devin sitting on the couch this evening and it would have looked exactly like this picture.