Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sweden's National Day

June 6th was Sweden's National Day.  It is kind of like the 4th of July for the Americans or the 17th of May for the Norwegians.  However, Sweden has not had a National Day for so long and the festivities are...well...subdued.   This is actually the first National Day that we have been a part of, but David became a citizen last year when he entered Sweden.  So this year we were all invited to the party in Alingsås.  It was a quaint gathering with folk dancers, really good choirs, rock band, speeches and all. The boys had a great time and then we were all invited into the Nolhaga Slott (the mansion in town) for dessert.  It was a fun experience.  

My Swedish boys


This was David asking me to wait a minute in sign language.  He needed to chew his food before I received the smile below...it was worth the wait.  

That is a great smile...not to mention that he is finally smiling when we take pictures!

My little Swede!

My toothless Swede

This was part of our New Swede Citizens March...David wasn't so sure about it all, but hey...we were able to stop traffic and walk on the road...pretty much the coolest part for the boys.  

We were all given these flags and on the inside of them the Swedish National Anthem was printed.  At one point we sing that we want to live and die in the North...okay...so I sang...but I don't really want to live and die in the North (but I will if the Lord asks it of me)....but I'd rather be on a warm beach in the Caribbean or something.
So that was our experience with the Swedish National Day...Next year the Norwegian National Day...and I hear they really party...bring on the fireworks!!!!!!

Laurie

2 comments:

iaandbob said...

You know I am reading this Laurie. Next year..... you are in for a treat on 17. mai.
I love Sam's toothless smile. Both your boys seems great. I hope I get to meet you soon
Ia

DebM said...

I LOVE those smiles!