Monday, May 23, 2011

Precious Jesus moments

Dear Friends:
Thank you so much for all of your encouragment. I have not been able to view all the comments, but I look forward to reading them when I get home. We are in Beijing again and have been since Saturday. We are very thankful to be back here and in the last leg of our journey. I will share more about our time in Urumqi when I get home.

The kids are good, but David is one stubborn boy (mom, this one may give me a run for the stubborn title!). I watch David as he explores his world and us. He is a ball of contradictions. At times he wants the hugs and kisses and fun that we all have, but the next second he is mad at us because we havn't done something right. I find myself praying constantly and then going with it. Today he was throwing a fit (over who knows what) and so I just decide to hold him and kiss him. He didn't like it much, but he came around. I am trying my best to be intuative and find those times to invade his space. Tonight he was laying between Andreas and I to go to sleep and he kept flipping and turning. First he wanted kisses, but then would push me away. Then he wanted my hand on his belly, but then wouldn't. He finally fell asleep totally intwined in my arms. Those are the moments that keep us going.

Let me tell you about some Jesus moments (direct divine intervention) that we have had. First was on the plane as we were trying to land in Beijing. Of course David did not want to sit in his seat, so I had to hold him (which he didn't want either). So for the 30 minute decent into Beijing he screamed. The first few minutes I started praying. Honestly, I was praying that the Lord would stop the screaming. Jesus had other plans. Instead he changed me. My impatience physically left me and I was filled with compassion and caring for this child. I didn't care who on the plane the screaming was annoying. So I sang. I sang quietly to my screaming child and amazingly enough he listened (Just trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding...). I knew instantly that the Holy Spirit had touched me and I was changed in that instance. I will always be greatful for that.

The second Jesus moment was tonight. Tonight we realized we have had David for a week now. He is starting to interact with Samuel and I was watching it in the hotel restaurant. But let me take you back a little to last Monday. For those of us who are blessed to experience adoption we know that it may not be love at first sight. I knew I loved him in my head, but my heart needed to get to know him some. I was prepared (as much as you can be) to love him without him expressing it back, but it is not always easy. As the days progressed, I knew that I was falling for this child, but still thought it may take a while. The fits don't exactly endure a child to you. But tonight was different. After David watched Sam for a minute he turned to me and talked to me (of course I had no idea what he said). I answered and looked at him in the eyes. Exactly at the moment I knew. I knew I would give my life for this child. I knew he was mine and I was his mommy. I knew I had been blessed beyond what I deserve. Again, I watched my two boys and fell in love, the tears fell and I knew Jesus had given me an "earnest". A little gift that showed me all would be okay and He was strengthening my love. David will still battle it, but it is there.....never to leave, only to grow stronger.

So my days are ups and downs, but we are strengthened by Jesus and so very glad we do not walk this path alone. Thank you for all of your prayers they are very much appreciated.

We have left David's passport at the Swedish embassy and will pick it up Wednesday or Thursday. We fly out Thursday afternoon. There is another Swedish couple here with us. They have a 6 year old daughter that Sam loves to play with. They have adopted a two year old boy...who they named David. So we are confusing our children greatly!!! But it is really nice to have them around. Just another "earnest" from God.

On a side note...today we went to let Sam buy something with his money. After finding something for himself he turned to Andreas and said, "Pappa I want to buy this for my girlfriend." He then told Andreas about a girl in his class. Andreas asked what it meant to have a girl friend. Sam's reply was, " she is a girl and she is my friend". Sam then walked over to me and told me that he was buying something for his girlfriend. (he said this infront of the 5 or 6 store salespeople who immediately started laughing.) They may have been laughing at the look I had on my face when he said it. I did my best to hold in my surprise and laughter and said that was very sweet. Wow, way to spring that one on a mom who wasn't ready for it. Life is definitely not predictable. My Sam is such a sweet boy. I am so thankful for him.

Tomorrrow is a slow day and an acrobatic show in the evening. Wednesday I think we will go to the Summer Palace with the other couple. Pray for us as we travel home. 10 hours on a plane will not be easy. Luckily it is only 10 hours of my life.

We miss you all. Praise be to God we are almost home!!!!

Love,
Laurie

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love you Laurie...praying for safe and calm travels. Thanks for the update.

Kim said...

Peyton screamed 12 hours from Moscow to Atlanta....you definately have my prayers. I love you all. Alex and Tay say congrads. Many prayers and hugs!
Kim

Kunal said...

The home coming band is rehearsing for your arrival!! Can't wait to see everyone!!