Thursday, April 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Little Boy

David,

You are three years old today.  Happy Birthday my little boy.  I wonder what you are doing today on your special day.  Is there someone celebrating you?  Are your foster parents giving you the presents we sent?  Are they telling you how special you are?  I want to believe that they are.  


Today, in Sweden, we celebrated you.  We bought cupcakes (a popcicle for your brother).  We sang to you and have a video to prove it.  We have a gift for you and most of all a family for you.  I want you to know that not only did we celebrate you today, but your farmor and farfar did too.  Not only will you be a son, but a grandson, great grandson, cousin, nephew and brother.  These are all gifts that I wish to tell you about and watch you experience.

I saw vitsippor and blåsippor for the first time today in bloom.  Your birthday will not only mark the special day that we celebrate you, but the beginning of Spring here in Sweden.  I loved having my birthday at the beginning of Spring in the States and now you will get to have the same thing here in Sweden.  With the Spring brings hope and renewal, all that is to come for you.

I wonder if sometime around today your birth parents are wondering about you.  Around this time in 2009 they had to leave you to be found and taken care of.  I am sure they are sad, but have hope that you are well and have a family.  I cry for the sadness that they must feel and pray that they are comforted by the one true comforter, Jesus.  I also celebrate your parents because they had the special privilege of bringing you into this world and holding you on your special day.  They loved you for the first year of your life and made the the hardest decision ever to give you a chance to be healed and to live. I will always be incredibly thankful for them and the sacrifice that they made.

So as you sleep in China, your family misses you in Sweden.  Happy Birthday today.  We will see you in a month and celebrate the rest of your birthdays together.  Sleep well and know you are loved.

Love,
Mommy

3 comments:

Cydil said...

Oh Laurie, your love for your son is a beautiful thing to behold.
Happy Birthday, David Kjernald!
- C

Darcy said...

beautiful beautiful beautiful! What a lovely way to celebrate David's birthday!

It was also Ellie's birthday! How fun that our two youngest children share a special day!

iaandbob said...

I am so happy for you that you finally get to pick up your son soon. I can't wait for pictures and story of that day
Ia