Monday, April 25, 2011

A Different Kind of Easter

I always look forward to Easter.  We have our devotion book that we do for lent.  It prepares us each day to walk through so many of the emotions, heart issues and true events that took place.  After doing those devotions together for 37 days we came to Good Friday.  We have traditions that we always go through to help us remember and try to understand a little bit more every year.  Well, after Good Friday service and a drive home to our house in the woods, I was done.

Let me take you back to last Wednesday night, well actually Thursday morning at about 3:00 am.  I hear Sam calling....''Daddy....Daddy (I think he knows I wake up cranky)...so I shake my wonderful man and tell him Sam is calling for you.  He calls back, but Sam still calls for him.  So he gets up and makes is way into his room.  I hear from the other room..."Daddy, I threw up!"  Okay....so I'm up!  Andreas and I go into full action to get his bed clean, him clean and make sure that he is okay (all the while holding down the gag reflex).  He was so sweet the whole time.  This is actually the first time he has really thrown up in his life (besides the one down my nighty when he was 3, but that was more crying and upset, not sick).  We got him back into bed and I slept in the bunk under him, but not before it happened again...had the bucket ready that time!  So Thursday was my day to try to keep this wonderfully energetic child quite...yeah right.  I did my best, but by Friday, he was ready to go.  So we let him and he has been fine since.

Now.... back to Good Friday.  Yep... mamma got it too.  I was up all night.  My poor husband tried to say around a while, but the truth is he really didn't want to get sick...can't blame him for that one.  So I stayed on the sofa for two nights (not a problem, that sofa is sooooo comfy).  Andreas got out of the sickness this time. I am glad for him.  But all of this made Easter a bit different for me...

Instead of celebrating as a body of Christ, I was home alone.  I was left to think and rejoice and praise...just Jesus and me.  I really enjoyed it.  Not that I would have chosen it, but I am so thankful that He meets us where we are... spiritually and physically.  I reflected on the reality of what was and the reality of what is because of what was.  I came back to something I already knew, but obviously needed a refresher on.... Easter is not just a day in time, but a life lived because of that day in time.  My life would look completely different without the hope and salvation that Easter brought through Jesus and I need to remember that daily and live because I know the reality of it.  Only when it is real in me can I show my sons why it makes a difference to believe and live life for God.

Only in Christ can any of us find TRUE life and TRUE hope....thanks for the reminder Jesus.

Happy Easter all,
Laurie

No comments: