Thursday, June 17, 2010

13 Years and Counting

(just pretend there is a huge drumrole before you read this).... Yesterday was our 13th anniversary!!!! I can't believe it has been that long. Of course over the years we have changed, but all of it has been there to deepen our relationship with Christ and each other. I thank God for this man and look forward to many more years of this adventure we call marriage and family.
I wish I had a recent picture of the two of us to share, but it always ends up being one of us with Sam. Even all the pics I have from Italy are only one of us in each pic. Hopefully the family have some of us together. Yes, you read that right, I have been to Tuscany and loved it. I will begin sharing those pictures soon. I took over 800 pictures, but don't worry I won't share them all.

Recently I was asked how Andreas and I met, so I will share a short version. In January of 1996 I was beginning the last semester of my college career and Andreas was coming to the States to experience an American college. He ended up (the very last minute, literally) in my Volleyball and Soccer class (the last P.E. credit I needed). We flirted, well he flirted with all the girls.... but we initially became friends. He would actually talk to me about the other girls he liked. However, he would also talk to me about Christ. Even though he had grown up in the church he had never experienced a commitment to Christ.

One night Jesus put him on my heart. So I prayed for him. The next day in class I told him that
I had been praying for him the night before. He was quite surprise and asked me how I knew. I was quite confused by the question, but he later explained that it was the first night that he had actually felt the presence of Christ with him at a dorm prayer meeting.

We continued to hang out as friends and talk about Christ. One evening in March after we had gone to Nicholasville to eat, I was driving back into Wilmore when he asked if we could go somewhere quite and dark. My answer, "absolutely not!" Quite surprised at my answer he tried to explain why he asked that. He wanted to give his life to Christ. At that request I drove to the parking lot of the then Wilmore elementary school (now the early learning village). It was a beautiful evening as he prayed to Jesus and gave his life to him.

We continued to hang out as friends and I took him to my Junior/Senior banquet where he embarrassed me greatly by giving a toast in my honor (but it was really sweet). We of course had the conversation of "let's just stay friends" because we lived in different countries and I was leaving for Jamaica after graduation. However, in the end of April we started dating and the rest in history. On June 16, 1997 I became his wife. (of course there are a lot more details, but a little hard to write them all here). In all of our dating time we were apart for 3/4 of it. I think I will tell Sam we dated for years before getting married....just kidding. It is not recommended, but we knew that Lord had given us each a gift with the other.

In a time when so many marriages are struggling, we pray that you all hold fast. Marriage is worth holding onto!

Blessings,
Laurie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. God is good.
Ia

Anonymous said...

Love your story. God is good.
Ia