Sunday, June 10, 2012

One Last Sunday

Today was the last Sunday worship for our church.  We are sad in many ways, but also know the Lord sees the bigger picture.  We are incredibly thankful that another church needed a place to call home and will be able to use our building that has been a meeting, worship and prayer place for so many over the years. It is interesting that once the word got out (and it did in every paper in the area and on the radio) that we were closing we had more people coming to our services than ever before. 

Today we had a packed (actually overpacked) church... what a great way to end a ministry.  We had people come that were here as kids.  They were able to show the older church members that their lives and ministry has made eternal impacts for the Kingdom of God.  There were able to encourage when it was very hard for some for this day to come.  I am so thankful that God sent them, and I have no doubt that He did.  

The sign says, ''Welcome to Alingsås Methodist Church and to the Service'' Theme Jesus  (that is always a great theme)

My wonderful husband, whom I am so thankful for.  The Lord has taught him a lot through his first charge.  We will both carry these people in our hearts our whole ministry. 

It was quite wonderful to see a packed church.

This is a common sight.  This is Sten.  He has been playing the organ and piano in this church since he was ten!  I won't reveal how old he is now, but he was gifted and has used it for Christ his whole life.  

This is Sven (yes, that name really exists, not just a stereotype), he has been in this church since before I was born.  Him and his lovely wife have recently moved back to their childhood home in the South of Sweden, but he often sang for us on Sundays, we were so glad he could come and be with us for this last Sunday. 


Sten at the piano

After the service there was a luncheon to say thank you and goodbye.  It was a special time for tears, but encouragement also.  I will really miss this place and these faithful people who have been so kind to us.  They are so excited for us as we move to Norway, even in their own sadness.  I will always be thankful that God placed us here for our first church.

Luncheon

wonderful husband

Me trying my best not to cry as Sten says thank you and goodbye!

There were a thousand more pictures and wonderful people of this church, but I would overload everything if I tried to put them on...so this is just a taste of today.  Please pray for all the members as they move to other churches and ministries.  They are precious, wonderful, faithful people and I pray they can still spill out their lives for Christ in different ministries.  

Blessings,
Laurie

1 comment:

Cydil said...

Loved this post! I felt like I was there!