Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Voluntourism (Ever Heard of It?)

I read this article about "voluntourism" and I think it raises some valid questions.  I have been aware of "voluntourism" within the past few years so this article really interested me.  I will also link an article about giving to children's homes in Nepal  (who to give money to and who to not give money too).  I think that it is pretty universal when it comes to looking for good or bad signs in children's homes.  I have experienced both the good and the bad children's homes in Nepal and I believe the article is right on.

Article 1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/14/orphans-cambodia-aids-holidays-madonna

Article 2
On Children's Homes

be sure to read the comments below the article too, very good stuff and would love to get my hands on the book "Little Princes".  

Laurie

No comments: